Hall of Mirrors
The Hall of Mirrors, erected to the glory of Louis XIV and now the chief masterpiece of Versailles, was begun in 1678 when the chateau became the official residence.
Le Brun designed thirty compositions showing the monarch in various guises: roman emperor, great administrator of the kingdom, and victor over foreign powers.
The Hall of Mirrors was not only the symbolic focus of the kingdom during the ancien regime, but also continued to play a key historical role after the Revolution. In 1919, the First World War officially ended when Germany signed the Treaty of Versailles in the Hall of Mirrors.
It has just been fully restored.